Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Ode to My Father

Ode to My Father

[ this original work of art shall not be copied, nor reproduced.]

You held me in your overly large hands.
Your newborn son lay quivering with joy.
Peacefully, I slumber in your large hands.
The heir is born to you, your newborn boy.

I held your finger in my curled full fist.
Walking beside you, two steps to your one,
carefully clutching so I may not slip.
A toddler's glee for father's joy and fun.

You held my hand in yours along the way,
a big boy now walks beside you in step.
The joy of your son growing fast each day.
Too fast, you wish his youth could be so kept.

     From life to life, you gave your life to me.
     From being held newborn, I now run free.

I held her hands in mine when love first called,
quivering with nerves at my first kiss.
You caught me, held me, righted my first fall.
love gone so soon, joy gone no love no bliss.

I shook his hand that handed me a sheaf.
certificate of completion it read.
Academic study complete my degree.
A new life, new man, new shoes I must tread.

I shook their hands my constituency.
Their gleaming eyes their hope I did behold.
Cult of personality done with ease.
Never sought your wisdom, too dumb too old.

     From love to man from fools to run for office.
     From here I stand upon the precipice.

I held your hands in mine shaking with age.
My face so near to yours for you to see.
So chilled was I to witness this life stage.
A somber moment, not joyful for me.

I held her hands in mine mother's broke heart,
tears like rivers streaming down her old face.
Your life ending, fleeting soon it will part.
And,death's mask steals over your countenance.

I held your hand again this one last time.
so frail so dry and small they were to hold.
One last goodbye your boy now have I mine.
The story goes on again to be told.

     From life to life, you gave your life to me.
     From life to life I have my own to see.


Please visit my legal website: Nevada DUI Attorneys
See me on YouTube: Seattle Cop Punches Black Teenage Girl


No comments:

Post a Comment