Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

DUI is a Scam

DUI is a Scam

I'm sure you've heard of the sad stories MAAD [mothers against drunk drivers] tells you of poor little Timmy that was killed by a drunk driver and for poor Timmy's sake we need tougher laws. While I can feel sorry for little Timmy and his family, I'm not so sure about the logic behind tougher DUI laws.

So, I did some checking.

You know me, I have to see the numbers and the facts. Throw some numbers in front of me or some facts and I'll skip meals reading it.




The Facts Behind DUI Arrests




The average American thinks that the police are here to protect us. Surely stopping vehicles that exhibit "signs of erratic driving" is well within the duty of a police officer. But... what if i told you:

  • Police get federal funding for every "DUI arrest" they make.
  • States get federal funding for every "DUI arrest" made in their state.

Hmmm, are you reconsidering your position yet? Well let's think about those.

Police get federal funding for every DUI arrest - not conviction, they make. That means they get paid to make DUI arrests. Now I'm sure you've seen the policeman's ball, it's held once a year or more to raise funds for the police in the city. I'm sure you've seen cops, once a month, sit at a sweet spot and write ticket after ticket to meet their monthly quota for funds.

Can anyone say that if you knew that you were to get funding for just MAKING a DUI arrest, wouldn't you have a tendency to lean toward making those arrests? Heck, I'm not even a police officer, but i guarantee if someone paid me to do it, I'd park right at the corner of Walgreens at 1 a.m. and go to town arresting people for DUI.

"oh you tripped, clearly a DUI."

"oh you slurred that 'S', clearly a DUI."

"I smell alcohol, clearly a DUI, Calvin Klein perfume, alcohol, whatever, it's a DUI, and don't argue with me."

The state gets federal funding per each DUI arrest made. Now, you're a smart person. Do you think if the state gets federal funds to make DUI arrests, that maybe, just maybe, they might suggest, encourage, DEMAND police officers make DUI arrests?

The number 1 cause of all traffic accidents is "driver inattentiveness". That is: cell phones, noisy kids, putting on make-up, fiddling with the radio. Those, and more, take up the top 10 causes of accidents and vehicle deaths. DUI doesn't even enter the picture until way down the list.

So why do we need these tougher DUI laws? Hmmm, is there something behind that rhetoric? Federal funding! Wait, you mean the U.S. government gives federal funding to MAAD? LOL no, not the U.S. government. That's silly, tin foil hat, stuff there. No it's the states that do. Oh, bet you didn't see that switch. Yes, the states schmooze the organizations like that, and get them all riled up. Why? So the states can get more federal funding.

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration - says that the field sobriety says that first of all things like the field sobriety test has to be administered correctly by a police officer. This is usually found to not be doing accurately. Even if they are, they find that only 60% of the time is even suggest a possible DUI. Things like field sobriety tests never take into account that the person taking the test may not be able to do the test, regardless of sobriety.

Finally a breath machine "DOES NOT MEASURE ALCOHOL". It measure the methyl group. It then assumes the methyl group is from alcohol, but you could be diabetic and found to be a DUI.

Visit my legal website: Las Vegas DUI Attorney
See me on YouTube at Shakaama Live

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

A good piece,but you forgot to get a comment from MADD on this. No,let me guess, you tried to,and they hung up on you. When confronted with the true facts,the neo-prohibitionists run. Right Don ?

Shakaama said...

You're not the first to mention prohibition in relation to MADD. I wonder is that really their ploy?

Anonymous said...

DUI is tax, nothing more. Have 2 drinks get stopped, your life is ruined!!

Anonymous said...

I have had two D U I 's in my life. They were spaced apart in years, one while I was underage at 19 and one after my divorce at 27. I have always felt it was a sham, a way to get your money and get you into the "System" as it results in a permanent criminal record. Plus the ex- alchoholic counseors can "help" you for a price. And the non drinking righteous local law community can take you money and call you a problem drinker. I never hurt anyone or even wrecked the car, I was just pulled over for whatever reason, and the second time they cornerd me in a restaurant parking lot. Didn't even know they were there till I got out of the car. The town I lived in, the police were and still are notorious for D U I arrests, but if there are a rash of burglaries and drug dealing, they are basically useless as police.- Just my two cents. The government lets us drink to keep us stupified and to keep us working their low paying meaningless jobs which allow us to barely get by, in effect driving us to drink, then they punish us for it. D U I has happened to everyone in all levels of society from rich to poor, but it effects the poor the most. I have seen people who lost jobs, and felt that their world was over, and D U I is meant to make you feel that way because it takes all your money. Unless you are rich.

Anonymous said...

Seriously, if they wanted to stamp out dui, put breathalysers in the bars, and stop serving people alcohol when they've reached the legal limit.
Can you just imagine how many people would scream.
Bars would go out of business, but I guarantee that would cut out 95% of the dui's.............
Folks would have to drink at home to get drunk.
But it's all about the almighty dollar and how many of them they can scam out of "Joe six pack"

Shakaama said...

sure they could put breathalyzers in bars, but that would be full nazi concentration camp style of living, moreso than what we have now.

the real problem is that, that number 0.08% is arbitrary. notice they did absolutely no medical study, no peer review study, nor any other study on reaching that 0.08% blood alcohol. they simply said 0.08% is the law, and AFTER THE FACT then said 0.08% means you're drunk.

so putting a breathalyzer would enforce the notion that 0.08% means you're drunk even more. an Irish 6'4", 250lb, lumberjack that enjoys 2 beers daily, for 20 years, would be no more "drunk" at 0.08% than he would be at 0.001%.

mind you, in some states and cities, they have a zero tolerance, yes 0.0001%. they just want money and to "tag" you. tag, you're it. dui is now stuck on your record.

Anonymous said...

IT'S NOT THAT COMPLICATED BUT AMERICANS SIMPLY CHOOSE NOT TO BELIEVE IT:

The Nevada Highway Patrol and the Elko County Sheriff's Department - like their counterparts in every city in America - make sure it's primarily poor people who are saddled with the bulk of the overly-harsh fines and jail sentences for Driving Under The Influence. It's all part of the 30 year old nationwide campaign to "terrorize the populace", always a precursor to the martial law that REAL CHRISTIANS and REAL AMERICAN CONSERVATIVE PATRIOTS believe is being engineered. Only 18,000 people IN A NATION OF 350,000,000 die from "drunk driving" every year. Why aren't our courts filled to the rafters with smokers? SMOKING KILLS 27 TIMES THAT AMOUNT! Chickenshit officials just purse their silly lips and make excuses though. They're too phony to admit the reason they focus on DUIs is because most of us need our cars to make a living. Especially in America, The Original Automobile-Oriented Society. They're hitting us where it hurts the most - in our vehicles. These same conartists spend billions in propaganda to make us believe that DRUNK DRIVING IS SECOND ONLY TO TERRORISM in its deleterious effects on American society. WHEN DUIs ARE NOT EVEN LISTED AMONG THE TOP TEN CAUSES OF DEATH IN AMERICA. Once again, it's all about TERRORIZING THE POPULACE.

DEAN BERRY MINISTRIES

Anonymous said...

I just got a DUI my first ever ofense, was getting out of my car at the grocery store, when i was attacked by a homeless guy someone called the cops on my behave obviously, when fight was over ran to my car to leave to my house. its a block away cops saw me and the suspect of course went after me instead of homeless guy. got me for a dui n my driveway. the guy got away when trying to explain the fact a was attack no one cared and gave me a full DUI, so i get my ass kicked, thrown in jail and have to pay 2,400 odd dollars total where are my rights? scam money monoply and DA sucks you cant explain yourself, they want the money

Anonymous said...

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/alcohol-interlock-device/RpPlldxw

Anonymous said...

I'm from Canada same BS here. Huge money grab for government, lawyers, courts, insurance companies, corrupt charities like MADD lots of other useless government jobs get created. DUIs are a huge business world wide and sadly majority of people are just brainwashed and don't see it. Statistics are manipulated and inflated to make DUI s look worse. Second hand smoke kills 4 times as many people and that is a fact based on US governments own statistics.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the scam of high insurance, interlock devices, the longer than normal probation, permanency on record when even many other significant misdemeanors can be expunged yet DUI is the biggest danger to society ever. What about gun deaths, drugs and mentally ill And let's talk about cops, crime labs and prosecutorial misconduct. The Bar Association and the overworked PD offices forcing people to still plea bargain to some type of lesser charge but one very linked to DUI such as Reckless Driving.. still criminal. And then if you do go to trial the jury instructions are pattern ones, meaning written by legislators to ensure convictions and then those who do also get that far are penalized harsher.

Don't own a car, don't pay taxes or fees, car share, don't own a home to pay state taxes as they all go to the law called "implied consent" meaning that any cop can stop you, take your blood, etc and you cannot refuse. Refuse you automatically go to jail regardless if you had ZERO alcohol. Great country America isn't it.

Anonymous said...

Also it is free money for lawyers who represent you. They let you walk yourself through the system all while holding out their hands for payment for doing absolutely nothing. DA's pad their resume's with almost guaranteed convictions, Judges stay on the bench for the same, Cops get promotions.

How about all the agencies and government employees that your fines pay for.

I still find it amazing that the conflict of interest of lawyers writing laws that lawyers argue. Many in local state and federal government legislatures are lawyers.

Many portions of DUI laws are Unconstitutional.

Anonymous said...

MADD is a scam. Most of the $ goes paying the head honchos. The woman who started MADD now works for the liqour industry. Head of MADD was asked about people dying from smart phone use in cars, he said he didn't care.

Unknown said...

Got 1st dui as a designated driver!! the cops waited across the street for the person to attempt to leave the establishment (he called me to pick him up! he had been charged with DUI 3 weeks prior, leaving the same establishment). I went there absolutely sober, had ONE drink I didn't even finish before we attempted to leave.
I say "atempted" because the cop came flying into the parking lot from across the street blocking my exit--he actually almost crashed into our car in his "zeal!" He became ENRAGED when he found me, instead of his intended victim, behind the wheel! He dragged me into his car, told me to blow into his "field sobriety test device" which somehow told him that I'd had "WAY TOO MUCH" to drink. I kept asking him what the reading was & he kept saying "I TOLD YOU, IT SAYS YOU'VE HAD WAY TOO MUCH TO DRINK!" -- trashy southern accent not herein replicated -- this same POS A-HOLE testified in court that he followed me for approximately 3/4 mile, witnessed me weaving within the lane, slurring my words, and that I reaked of alcohol. VISCIOUS LYING ASS-HOLE!!!!!!!!!!!! All my USELESS atty could say was, "the breathalizer results cannot be contested in court per NC law--sorry!"

I had a perfect driving record for my entire life before this incident, the first of many violations of my civil rights.

I will continue with tales from the dark side of the Raleigh, NC police! the subsequent 50-plus illegal traffic stops, day or night, always under the pretext that I was "weaving within the lane," & the road block set up at the end of my driveway when I complained...

Unknown said...

This is my third attempt to post an incredible yet true story about the the illegsl stops & perjury in court by Raleigh, NC police, who ultimately forced me to leave the state and for what?

I guess my crime was that I was a "damned Yankee." Hoping that this post will "fly."

Anonymous said...

I have had 10 DUI's and never hurt a soul my father was a Federal Prosecut's for 11 years and our family attorney was a State Prosecutor.In
the mid 1980's Ronald Reagan was presented with a problem.He was told America has graduated too many lawyers.Now one third of all Felonies are DUI
MADD is media scam to bring a new class of criminals into the pockets of the ABA Our country needs less lawyers and even less law schools.

Post a Comment